Answers To Key Questions About Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (A1AD, AATD) & Ozmon Law
WHAT IS ALPHA-1 ANTITRYPSIN DEFICIENCY (A1AD, AATD)?
AATD is a genetic (inherited) condition – it is passed from parents to their children through their genes. This deficiency will result in serious lung disease in adults and/or, at times, liver disease mainly in adolescents or young adults.
For each trait a person inherits, there are usually two genes; one gene comes from each parent. People with A1AD can receive one or two abnormal alpha-1 antitrypsin genes. Persons inheriting two abnormal genes often develop more serious disease.
WHAT IS CAUSATION AND TREATMENTS
The antitrypsin deficiency involves the lack of protein which provides a protective coating to the lung tissue. The absence of this coating allows the body’s own immune system to attack and destroy lung tissue over time resulting in a severe emphysematous condition.
Required treatment involves serum replacement of this protein which then provides this protective coating. However, lost lung function cannot be restored and most misdiagnosed patients ultimately must undergo lung transplants to extend life expectancy.
EXAMPLES OF PULMONARY FUNCTION TEST
Based on a 47 year old patient
*Normal Range, % Predicted: 80-120
22% shows a significant inability to expel air from the lungs and is a classic sign of possible A1AD
*Normal Range, % Predicted: 75-120
37% is highly abnormal which is a classic sign of early emphysema and possible A1AD
DOES OZMON LAW PRACTICE IN MY AREA?
Ozmon Law has over 30 years of extensive experience as a Personal Injury Trial Lawyer, having handled serious cases in State and Federal Courts in Illinois and the U.S. Laird Ozmon can see that your case is prosecuted anywhere in the U.S.
- Will County: Joliet, Plainfield, Romeoville, Lockport, Crest Hill. Shorewood, Minooka, Channahon, Elwood, Manhattan, New Lenox, Mokena, Frankfort, Peotone, Manhattan and Braidwood.
- Grundy County: Coal City, Morris, Mazon, Verona, Gardner and Kinsman.
- Cook County: Chicago, Cicero, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Blue Island, Harvey, Calumet, Countryside, Bridgeview, Matteson, Chicago Heights, Calumet, Evanston, Des Plaines, Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates, Glenview, Northbrook, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village and Rosemont.
- DuPage County: Naperville, Wheaton, Lisle, Warrenville, Glen Ellyn, Oakbrook, Downers Grove, Westmont, Hindsdale, Darien, Woodridge, Burr Ridge, Elmhurst, Villa Park, Lombard, Addison, Wood Dale, Itasca, Bloomingdale, Carol Stream, West Chicago, Roselle, Wayne, Winfield, Warrenville, Eola and Bensenville.
WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF ANTITRYPSIN DEFICIENCY (A1AD or AATD) RELATED TO THE LUNG?
- Shortness of breath, especially at rest
- Chronic bronchitis, which is cough and sputum (phlegm) production that lasts for a long time
- Recurring chest colds
- Less exercise tolerance
- Asthma that can’t be completely reversed with aggressive medical treatment
- Year-round allergies
- Early onset of Emphysema
WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF A1AD RELATED TO THE LIVER?
- Unexplained liver disease or elevated liver enzymes
- Eyes and skin turning yellow (jaundice)
- Swelling of the abdomen (ascites) or legs
- Vomiting blood (from enlarged veins in the esophagus or stomach)
HOW IS A1AD DIAGNOSED?
AATD cannot be diagnosed by symptoms or by a medical examination alone; you need to get a simple, reliable blood test to know for sure.
WHY SHOULD I CONSULT OZMON LAW?
Experience, Trust and Compassion are Ozmon Law principles. Laird Ozmon has a proven track record of obtaining high dollar value settlements and jury verdicts involving personal injury law and Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (A1AD) cases. While Ozmon Law is handling your case, Laird will always try to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. However, if a fair settlement cannot be negotiated, Laird’s 30 years of trial experience will work for you in attempting to recover maximum compensation from the jury.
If you feel you have been wrongly treated or misdiagnosed contact Ozmon Law today at 815-727-7700
Contact Us Today
FOR A FREE NO OBLIGATION CONSULTATION