Laird M. Ozmon
Mr. Ozmon concentrates his practice in personal injury law with an emphasis on medical malpractice, negligence and products liability cases. He obtained one of the largest punitive damage awards in Illinois in (Jerry Ross v. Black and Decker, Inc.). He has also received the largest malpractice settlement of $8 million in Illinois regarding the misdiagnosis of a genetic disorder and the largest settlement of $9.2 million in a medical malpractice case in Will County. In addition, he coauthored the chapter “Trial Tactics in Medical Malpractice,” for the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 1989-92. He is a frequent speaker on tort-related issues. Mr. Ozmon has obtained multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements in a variety of other areas of personal injury.
Years Trial Lawyer Experience
BA 1976 with high honors, Lewis University;
JD 1979, Loyola University.
Admitted to Practice
1979 Illinois Supreme Court;
1980 U.S. Court of Appeals;
1983 U.S. Supreme Court;
Illinois Trial Lawyers Association:
- Executive Committee 2003-2004
- Chair Executive Committee 1997
- President 1997-1998
- President Elect 1996-1997
- 2nd Vice President 1995-1996
- Executive Committee 1994-1999
- 3rd Vice President 1994-1994
- Executive Committee 1991-1992
- Legislative Committee 1988-1990
- Exec Committee 1987-1988
- Public Relations Committee Chair 1987-1988
- The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- The Florida Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association (Assemblyman 1998-99);
- American Bar Association;
- The Society of Trial Lawyers;
- American Board of Trial Advocates:
- Super Lawyers; and
- Leading Lawyers.
American Association for Justice (AAJ)
formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America:
- Elected National Officer – Parliamentarian, 2012-2013;
- National Finance Council, Member, 2007-2014;
- National Officers and Executive Committee, Representative, 2006-2011;
- Board of Governors, Board Member, 2004-2013;
- AAJ PAC Board of Trustees,2004-2008;
- State Delegate – Committee Member, 1988-1994;
- Committee Chair – Women Trial Lawyers Caucus, 1988-89.
Mr. Ozmon has also served as a member of the Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Civil Jury Instructions in Civil Cases from 1/1/2006 – 12/31/2014.
As a consumer looking for an attorney to represent your case, you want a professional with experience relevant to your issues. You want to know before your initial consultation that a prospective attorney has a good reputation among his or her peers, as well as a spotless disciplinary record. When you see the Lead Counsel Verification, you can be assured an attorney meets objectively strict quality assurance standards, and is worthy of your trust and confidence.
Laird Ozmon is a Past President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association.
The Illinois Trial Lawyers Association is a statewide organization whose members specialize in representing injured consumers and workers. The members of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association fight to ensure all citizens get equal footing in the courtroom, even when taking on the most powerful interests. We see to it that those who harm consumers, other individuals, or even their own employees, are held accountable.
The Leading Lawyers Network is the result of thousands of contacts with Illinois lawyers asking them which of their peers they believe comprise the top lawyers. Only those lawyers who are most often recommended qualify as Leading Lawyers.
Laird M. Ozmon was recommended as a Leading Lawyer in a statewide survey of more than 50,000 lawyers. Fewer than 5% of the lawyers in any state receive the distinction of being a Leading Lawyer.
Laird M. Ozmon has been selected as an Illinois Super Lawyer from 2010 to 2018.
Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. In selecting attorneys for Super Lawyers, Law & Politics employs a rigorous, multiphase process. Peer nominations and evaluations are combined with third party research. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Selections are made on an annual, state-by-state basis.
Laird M. Ozmon has been selected as a top 100 National Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers.
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 is an invitation-only organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from each state or region who meet stringent qualifications as civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense trial lawyers.
Laird M. Ozmon was Elected National Officer of AAG (formerly the American Trial Lawyers Association)
The Mission of the American Association for Justice is to promote a fair and effective justice system—and to support the work of attorneys in their efforts to ensure that any person who is injured by the misconduct or negligence of others can obtain justice in America’s courtrooms, even when taking on the most powerful interests.
Avvo creates a profile for every licensed attorney we are able to locate, and calculates a rating for lawyers who appear to be working with clients. Profiles are free to attorneys, and the Avvo Rating cannot be influenced by advertising or other forms of payment.
- There is no bias. The rating is calculated using a mathematical model, and all lawyers are evaluated on the same set of standards.
- The Avvo Rating cannot be bought. At Avvo, all lawyers are treated equally. We don’t play favorites, and attorneys can’t pay us to improve their ratings.
- It was developed by legal professionals and people looking for legal services. The model used to calculate the rating was developed with input from hundreds of attorneys, thousands of consumers, and many other legal professionals who deeply understand the work attorneys do. We created the Avvo Rating to reflect the type of information people have identified as important when looking to hire an attorney.
- It’s as simple as counting to 10. Ratings fall on a scale of 1 (Extreme Caution) to 10 (Superb), helping you quickly assess a lawyer’s background based on our rating.
Contact Us Today
FOR A FREE NO OBLIGATION CONSULTATION