Answers To Key Questions About Birth-Related Injuries & Ozmon Law
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF BIRTH-RELATED INJURIES CAUSED FROM NEGLIGENCE DURING LABOR AND DELIVERY?
Below is a short list of common types of birth related injuries that may result in a case which Ozmon may handle for you.
- Cerebral palsy
- Subdural Hematomas
- Anoxic Encephalopathy
- Erb’s palsy
- Facial paralysis
- Brain injuries including cognitive defects
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Shoulder dystocia
- Pre and Post Prenatal Infections
- Forceps Injuries
- Vacuum Extractions
- Bone fractures
- Genetic Disorders
WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF A BIRTH INJURY?
The symptoms depend on the type and severity of the injury. The following can be symptoms and signs to watch for, however there can be many more.
- Delayed motor skills
- Limited facial or limb movement or paralysis
- Poor coordination
- Delayed growth
- Clenched fists
- Difficulty holding head up
- Poor muscle movement
- Poor reactions and reflexes
- Vision problems
- Prolonged unexplained illnesses
The compensation to which you may be entitled depends upon whether you have a medical malpractice or wrongful death case.
Damages in a Medical Negligence case for a living child include:
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent physical disability/loss of a normal life
- Lost future wages of the child
- Cost of lifetime care/medical
Damages in a Medical Negligence case for a deceased child are determined under Wrongful Death.
The specific types of damages to which you may be entitled will depend on the facts of your case and applicable state or federal law. Laird Ozmon can discuss your options for recovery in greater detail.
Call 815.727.7700 for a FREE consultation today.
DOES OZMON LAW PRACTICE IN MY AREA?
Ozmon Law has over 30 years of extensive experience as a Personal Injury Trial Lawyer, having handled serious cases in State and Federal Courts in Illinois and the U.S. Laird Ozmon can see that your case is prosecuted anywhere in the U.S.
- Will County: Joliet, Plainfield, Romeoville, Lockport, Crest Hill. Shorewood, Minooka, Channahon, Elwood, Manhattan, New Lenox, Mokena, Frankfort, Peotone, Manhattan and Braidwood.
- Grundy County: Coal City, Morris, Mazon, Verona, Gardner and Kinsman.
- Cook County: Chicago, Cicero, Orland Park, Tinley Park, Blue Island, Harvey, Calumet, Countryside, Bridgeview, Matteson, Chicago Heights, Calumet, Evanston, Des Plaines, Arlington Heights, Hoffman Estates, Glenview, Northbrook, Schaumburg, Elk Grove Village and Rosemont.
- DuPage County: Naperville, Wheaton, Lisle, Warrenville, Glen Ellyn, Oakbrook, Downers Grove, Westmont, Hindsdale, Darien, Woodridge, Burr Ridge, Elmhurst, Villa Park, Lombard, Addison, Wood Dale, Itasca, Bloomingdale, Carol Stream, West Chicago, Roselle, Wayne, Winfield, Warrenville, Eola and Bensenville.
DO I HAVE A BIRTH RELATED INJURY CASE?
In many birth injury cases, the injury to your child may involve several parties who may share liability for these injuries. The doctor or team of doctors and hospital personnel who delivered the child may be liable for failing to follow the standard of care during your delivery and may be named parties in your case. If a medication prescribed by your doctor and correctly led to a birth injury or birth defect, the manufacturer of the medication may be named in a products liability suit. Symptoms of a birth related injury may not appear for months and years following birth. Therefore, it is very important to act as soon as abnormalities or problems arise. Every jurisdiction has different limitations on the filing of medical malpractice actions.
Bringing a claim for the medical malpractice of the health care providers involved in the labor and delivery of your child may be the only way your family can obtain the financial resources to deal with the costs of future medical care or assisted living expenses for your injured child.
Laird Ozmon is experienced in birth injury litigation and can work with you to help you understand your rights.
WHAT DO I HAVE TO PROVE IN A BIRTH INJURY CASE
To have success in a birth injury case, you must prove:
- The child suffered a birth injury
- The doctor/hospital failed to adhere to the established standard of care*
- That the doctor’s/hospitals failure to adhere to the standard of care* was the cause of the child’s injury or death
*Standard of care: the level of care expected of a reasonably careful doctor and or hospital under like or similar circumstances.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I FEEL I HAVE A BIRTH RELATED INJURY CASE?
If a birth injury/death is suspected to have resulted from medical negligence, it’s important to speak with a knowledgeable attorney such as Laird Ozmon as quickly as possible to understand and protect your rights. Taking legal action may be the only way to secure fair compensation necessary to fully compensate your child for his or her injuries or you in the tragic event of your child’s death.
There are time limitations in every state as to when and how such birth injury claims must be filed and many are quite different. Since many birth injuries do not become apparent until months or even years after birth, it is important to contact an experienced lawyer as soon as any suspicions arise.
WHY SHOULD I CONSULT OZMON LAW?
Experience, Trust and Compassion are Ozmon Law principles. Laird Ozmon has a proven track record of obtaining high dollar value settlements and jury verdicts involving personal injury law and birth-related injury cases. While Ozmon Law is handling your case, Laird will always try to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. However, if a fair settlement cannot be negotiated, Laird’s 30 years of trial experience will work for you in attempting to recover maximum compensation from the jury.
Contact Ozmon Law Today for a FREE Consultation at 815-727-7700
Contact Us Today
FOR A FREE NO OBLIGATION CONSULTATION